Tuesday 29 July 2014

Kalimera from Kefalonia



To whet your appetite, I covered what I enjoyed seeing and doing on my recent travels in Kefalonia. Now, I am going to run through some of the mouth watering, insanely satisfying food I would typically work through:

  • Breakfast - Natural greek yoghurt with honey and fresh fruit, pancakes or exceptional freshly baked bread, croissants and brioche from one of the local bakeries in Fiscardo. 
  • Lunch Any sort of seafood, but probably either a whole fish, grilled squid, or greek salad with a spinach and feta pie.
  • Dinner - To start, I'd opt for aubergine balls, bread with tzatziki or taramasolata and saganaki. Arguably my favourite Greek speciality, saganaki is essentially deep fried salty cheese (kefalotyri), and it is wickedly delicious. For mains, you can't go wrong with moussaka, Kefalonian meat pie, souvlaki or unbelievably tender lamb kleftiko. One of the joys of eating in the tavernas  and restaurants is that you are often offered a complementary dessert and liquor with your bill, which makes paying that bit sweeter. These treats normally take the form of panacotta, sticky baklava, watermelon or homemade limoncello. However, if you see it on the menu do order loukoumades, mini deep fried dough balls which are drizzled in honey and sprinkled with cinnamon, you won't be disappointed.

"Kalimera" - Good day / morning

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12638785/?claim=jegdjbhyze2">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment